A Cruel Man Delighting in Flowers

...the mildness to which men ... had yielded was only half of the intoxication of beauty, while the other half ... was of such surpassing and terrible cruelty—the most cruel of men delights himself with a flower—that beauty ... failed quickly of its effect...

Hermann BrochThe Death of Virgil

Jeremy Davies is made of ink, but don’t dip a feather in him. It tickles. He once painted a fingernail black and no one really noticed. He was disappointed. He’s also an editor, a religious atheist, a liker of strong coffees, a Shakespeare-lover, a political anarchist and someone who rarely has a pen when he needs one. He has been a PhD candidate, a personal trainer, a life model, a bouncer, an infantry soldier and someone who rarely had a pen when he needed one. He has had words published in a variety of places, in a variety of publications, in a variety of forms, in a variety of moments: Canada, Wet Ink, SMS and twelve minutes past three in the afternoon being some of these. His first novel, 'Missing Presumed Undead', will be re-published by Satalyte Publishing in February 2014. A second is on its way.

The Language of the Unheard

The Language of the Unheard - John Falzon Disclosure: I work for Garratt Publishing as their Editorial Assistant, and this was one of the first books I worked on for them, but I still stand by my rating and comments below.

Falzon manages to achieve a great synthesis of substance and style with this book. His thesis, that the more socially exclusive a society becomes - the more volitile and uncivilized, is established through both anecdotal and observational prose; the 'punch' is driven by strong poetic framing to each chapter: 'The Dangerous Classes' being one of the best.

While I may have some argument with how aspects of 'the Unheard' is delineated along certain discursive lines, I have no argument with the central thrust and aesthetic energy.

While it may by set in Australian social terms, the milieu Falzon operates in professionally, it has a universal social message, as perhaps fore-shadowed by the title's play on a Martin Luther King quote.

Lyrical and Critical Essays
Albert Camus
The Western Canon: The Books and School of the Ages
Harold Bloom
The Rebel (Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics)
Albert Camus