A Cruel Man Delighting in Flowers

...the mildness to which men ... had yielded was only half of the intoxication of beauty, while the other half ... was of such surpassing and terrible cruelty—the most cruel of men delights himself with a flower—that beauty ... failed quickly of its effect...

Hermann BrochThe Death of Virgil

Jeremy Davies is made of ink, but don’t dip a feather in him. It tickles. He once painted a fingernail black and no one really noticed. He was disappointed. He’s also an editor, a religious atheist, a liker of strong coffees, a Shakespeare-lover, a political anarchist and someone who rarely has a pen when he needs one. He has been a PhD candidate, a personal trainer, a life model, a bouncer, an infantry soldier and someone who rarely had a pen when he needed one. He has had words published in a variety of places, in a variety of publications, in a variety of forms, in a variety of moments: Canada, Wet Ink, SMS and twelve minutes past three in the afternoon being some of these. His first novel, 'Missing Presumed Undead', will be re-published by Satalyte Publishing in February 2014. A second is on its way.

The Steel Remains (A Land Fit for Heroes, #1)

The Steel Remains (A Land Fit for Heroes, #1) - Richard K. Morgan If you're looking for a contemporary heroic fantasy book to put up against Potter-ism, this would be the one. Gritty and guilty, and very un-Potter-like: it has rekindled my interest in the genre. I am grateful to the publishers that they did not blurb the sexualty of the central protagonist, since I probably would have discounted it while browsing the shelves at Wellington airport. 'Oh great, another against-the-grain-minority-casting to impress a readership...' And I wouldn't have known how wrong I was. At some points in the novel, after you have read and you reflect, some sequences seem to clang a little: but, hell, if they worked while you were reading it, while you were in the flow, well, it's hard to be overly critical. Shall be reading more Morgan in the future.

Lyrical and Critical Essays
Albert Camus
The Western Canon: The Books and School of the Ages
Harold Bloom
The Rebel (Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics)
Albert Camus